CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, July 27, 2007

Maybe they all know something I don't....


While we were in Vietnam, everyone always asked if Chloe was a boy or girl. My thoughts are that she so looks like a girl, plus she is always dressed very girly, so I didn't get it. However, I just assumed that in Vietnam people put whatever is available on their babies', so they didn't really follow the pink and flowers are for girls type line of thinking.

Being back in the US, tons of people assume that Chloe is a boy as well. I cut them some slack if she's dressed in something gender nuetral, but otherwise I don't get it.

For example, today I went to Kohl's. I was looking for some pants for Chloe, as she doesn't really have any that fit. I bought a couple of 6-9 month pants and shirts, as they were the smallest there was.

To set the stage, here is the outfit that Chloe was wearing:

Notice the pink pants.

Now here are the outfits that I got while shopping. Mind you, these were my only purchase. (On a side note, there is no way that these outfits are going to fit Chloe anytime soon. They don't look 6-9 months at all to me!)




But to the scene at the checkout. The cashier looks at Chloe and says, "Looks like someone is getting new clothes." We smile politely and don't really say anything. Then a little time passes, as she is having trouble accepting my gift cards. While she is waiting, she looks at Chloe again and starts talking to her. "You are being such a good boy! What a good boy! I bet your mommy is happy to have such a good little boy!" I don't really know how to respond to that, so I just say, "actually she's a good little GIRL". To which the cashier responds, "Really!?! She's a girl!?!?

Hmm...now maybe I'm wrong, but I really don't think that I am biased when I say that Chloe looks like a girl. But who knows...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well you might be bias but the clothes u were buying might have tipped her off that she just mught be a girl. lol

Erin said...

LOL! We went through exactly the same thing. We've always dressed our boys in blue, or in otherwise boyish, clothes. In Vietnam, we were always asked if they were girls. We thought, like you, it must be a culture thing - they just don't know that pink is for girls and blue is for boys. Apparently, Americans have forgotten this too. We can have them dressed alike or different but always in "boy" clothes and, when out in public, we will be asked #1 - Are they twins? and #2 - are they both girls? HUH???? I TOTALLY know what you're going through! ;-)

Anonymous said...

OK, so I'm wondering what the cashier looks like, my mom works at Kohl's, and I pretty much know everyone (after 5 years of her working there) so it might just be the cashier at least at Kohl's. Not sure about everyone else, because I totally agree she looks like a cute little girl!

jenn said...

We get the "ohhh, look twins. A girl and a boy, right!" all the time. ALL THE TIME! I'm not sure who they think is the boy, the one in pink or purple as they both have a bow in their hair...do not get it.

She's looking girly to me, it's the eye's I think. Good luck with pants, we are now wearing size 3-6 jeans for capri's. Great now, but not sure what I'm going to do in the winter. I think all Asian's have very small hind ends (that would explain the tight quarters on the plane ride over the ocean...)

Anonymous said...

well.... boys are wearing pink now days...but that doesn't explain the fact that bows in the hair went un-noticed, in Jenn's case. I guess a lot of people are so "me" oriented that they are clueless to anything else