CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Barter System

I am deleriously tired right now, so I will probably take a quick nap and then I'll post about our trip to Ha Long Bay.

In the mean time, I wanted to share a funny story.

As I mentioned above, I am super tired, so I don't know if things are just coming across extra funny because of it, but I don't think so.

So, for dinner we went to this resteraunt kind of across the street from our hotel. It had a mix of Vietnamese, Europeon, and Western Food. Mark gets a chicken stirfry thing, and I get prawns in Thailand sauce. I didn't care for mine too much, as the prawns had all its legs, tentacles, etc. Anyway, that doesn't matter, as it's not the funny part.

Our dinner came to 108,000 dong, including drinks and everything. One US dollar is about 16,000 dong. So our dinner came to 6.75. Anyway, we go to pay. Mark hands the girl 110,000 dong. The girl kinds of looks over at me and asks me if I have 3,000 dong. Apparently she doesn't have 2,000 dong to give us in change. I tell her we don't have that change. She looks around for a second, then kneels down behind the register and pops back up and hands us a pack of gum that has a 2,000 dong price tag on it and tells us to have a nice day! So we've now had our first experience of someone bartering with US!

Anyway, I'll post pictures of Ha Long Bay in a little bit! Hope everyone has an awesome day.

Oh yeah. G&R definitely won't be tomorrow. Thuy is hoping for Thursday, but we'll see...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is funny... so how the gum?
Rocky & I just got back from visiting Sammi & Rajah. They are doing good. Sammi is giving Jason a hard time about eating but not too bad she missed 1 meal and Last night she wouldn't eat so Jason took her food away them About 10pm she was acting hungry so Jason gave it back to her and she ate it then. I told hin there was no reason he couldn't do that so let me know if I am "spoiling" her as you say I do Rocky.
love ya

Anonymous said...

that's funny...what if you hadn't liked that flavor of gum? could you have picked something else you wanted off the counter instead?
And you ate stuff that still had legs and tentacles? That's a little worse than eating fish that still had its fins...

Anonymous said...

Mom, Angel wanted me to let you know to use the green water pot to water the plants by the playhouse.

Angel said...

How was she "acting hungry"? It's not a big deal if you do that. Usually if Sammi doesn't eat, we just take the food until the next meal. I've never really seen her "act hungry". But whatever works for you, as long as she gets fed and attention.

I don't know about the gum. It was funny because it's not like they sold the gum at there, she just randomly pulled it out from underneath the counter, like maybe she was just looking for anything and she found that. I suppose it wasn't too big a deal since 2000 dong really is only 12.5 cents...

It was really just like the cold shrimp you get at the chinese buffet places only 5 times as big. I pulled the legs and head off of it...

Angel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

well, I was eating, and she kept coming over and getting right up in my bowl, and looking at me, and whining a little bit...she didn't try to eat any, but it just seemed like she was acting hungry, and I felt bad for her, she's such a good puppy, and I couldn't let her go all night with no food when she looks at me like that....

Angel said...

That is just what Sammi and Rajah do. They want whatever you have, whether they just ate or not!

Anonymous said...

I guess that is better than no change at all. You can use the gum as a keepsake of the trip for someone