CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, May 11, 2007

We made it...Finally!

Wow, that was a long trip!

Our flight from Indianapolis to Chicago started off on the wrong foot. We had checked all of our bags then went to go through security. Apparently I didn't read the rules good enough because we had a bunch of liquid, gels, and pastes that we couldn't take along with us. I guess they all have to be in containers less than 3oz. We ended up losing a jar of vaseline, and our baby shampoo and lotion. So looks like Chloe won't be getting a bath! :)

I knew we were going to be in a bigger mess because in another carry on suitcase were all of our toiletries (shampoo, conditioner, soap, toothpaste, etc.). We got caught with that stuff as well. Luckily the airport people were nice enough to repack our stuff, stick all the unallowed stuff in this toiletry bag we brought, and they went down to the baggage area, found our bags, and put them in there. However, I asked if I could have the other stuff that they confiscated back, they said no. Thieves!

So our flight was about 40 minutes to Chicago. Not bad. Once we got to Chicago things went pretty smoothly. We met up with Ally and her family, and Lucy and Joe (other families traveling with us). It was nice to have others to talk to during our layovers.

So then was our flight from Chicago to Japan. Twelve hours. Honestly the worst twelve consecutive hours that I've spent in a LONG time! I never thought about what 12 hours in the air actually would be like. Our seats were super cramped, I never got comfortable one time during that whole flight, my feet were super swollen, got a bunch of busted blood vessels on my arm... I was honestly ready to be done flying for the rest of my life after 2 hours! I never thought that flight would end. I'm not sure how much it would have been to upgrade to first class, and I know that before we left I would have said I had no need to, but after this, I think I would pay a lot of money!!! I am just dreading the thought of making the return trip, and add on top of that with a baby...although I know in the end it will be all worth it.

Plus sides of that flight, they fed us. A lot. And made sure we had something to drink at all times. I got to watch two movies...Music and Lyrics & Freedom Writers. Both were good.

Once the flight was over, we had a few hours layover in Japan. I have to say that the people at that airport and the crew on Japanese Airlines were so, so friendly. We had a great experience as far as that was concerned. Not only did we get great service, everyone was always so friendly and wanted to make sure you were completely taken care of.

Our last flight was from Japan to Hanoi. This was a 5 1/2 hour flight. I was super tired by then and just wanted to sleep. What was nice about this plane was that the armrests moved up and down. Our flight wasn't that full, so there were a bunch of extra seats. I was able to find an empty row of three seats, pull the armrests up, and sleep. That was nice.

Then finally we arrived in Hanoi. Man, is it humid! Even with air conditioning on!

Thuy met us at the airport with flowers, which was really nice. She had three vehicles ready to transport four families to the hotels. Three of the families (including us) are staying at the same hotel, while the fourth family was at a different one. However, somehow there was a mix up and we ended up at their hotel instead of ours! But we finally made it and here we are!

Observation:

So I've seen pictures and video's of the traffic in Hanoi. But its really something that you have to see for yourself! It's crazy, crazy, crazy. We are driving to our hotel, after 10pm, and there are motorbikes everywhere. And they just go anywhere. There were lanes, but cars would just drive down the middle! We saw one guy on a motorbike with his chihuahua as his front passenger, which was pretty funny.

Anyway, I think we are going to try and get settled and I'll write more tomorrow!

3 comments:

jenn said...

So glad you guys made it. Don't worry so much about the flight home. The baby keeps your mind off of how cramped you are and hopefully you will get a bulkhead seat with a little more leg room.

Rest up while you can!

Anonymous said...

It is great to hear you made it with out too much of hitch. I am Sooo Excited I can honestly say that wish I could be there with you,cramped seats and all. I know you will be posting pictures and I can't wait to see them. I know you must be totally spent, I'm surprised you were able to write so much with no rest, but I'm glad you did! I am staying close to the PC so get some rest and Get out and see the sites and take lots o pictures! Love Ya

Anonymous said...

It was SOOO great to finally hear from you guys!! Been praying and wondering how it was going. Too bad about the liquids-should have called us-with Leah going to Dominican, Tom always flying and Raych going so often, plus Tim we could have filled you in. Can't wait to hear more and see pictures. Rest up and enjoy everything!!! WE LOVE ALL OF YOU!! Also, thanks for M's day card-that was extra special!!